Monday, August 31, 2009

Taper Time!

I had Thursday and Friday off from work to get in my last LONG training. I biked about 70 miles on Thursday. I was so excited to ride my 'normal' route for the last time. I like seeing the same routines in everyone's life when I bike. I always find a older man reading the newpaper in Headwater Parkway, his dog always barks at me and he waves, I go past Neal Hennings and the horses are getting fed on my way out, I bike past my the Kelly Land and Cattle Co. and it's quiet in the morning, head down to the Gateway Trail to use the porta-potty and cut across to Lake Elmo the long way. ERRR - today the Gateway Trail was closed with machinery all over and trees down. I was really bummed. I turned and headed north to Big Marine. I stopped at the Park Reserve and it has an awesome beach and went up to the little store in Big Marine and bought my final Snickers Ice Cream bar. I headed back home and it was back to the regular sights, now Neal was out riding, saw Dan the local farmer with his semi and giant haybales always making the turn at 170th Street, saw Don out cutting hay who thinks I bike to Milwaukee weekly. I got home and realized I won't be biking that route again for a long time. My next 'long' ride is only 30 miles and the it's the IM. I felt a little indifferent about the ride.

On Saturday I had a 13.1 mile run. It was a virtual half marathon - the Sprit of Columbus. I have never heard of a virtual half marathon, but you have to register for it and map out your run. The day of it you wear a Garmin or heart rate monitor. When you are done you upload your results and you are ranked. You are sent a finisher medal, shirt, etc. Kind of different but that is why I did it. I think this was the first virtual half marathon ever. I took it easy since I was wearing new shoes. I had only worn them 2 miles prior. It was a nice run but a little windy. I went south to Millers on Main and headed West on Main Street until I hit the 7 mile mark and turned around and headed home. My feet felt good when I was done - no blisters either. That is what I needed for a longer run to give me a confidence boost.

No comments: