Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Chlorine Rash for the Holidays

You name it - I'll get it. While swimming today I remember feeling a burning pain kind of like jelly fish are stinging you over and over. Don't ask but I know what that feels like...anyway. After swimming I ran to Menards and Home Depot and noticed my neck burning. I got home and Olaf said "Who'd you get the hickeys from?" Hmmm - I was circle swimming with a guy at Masters this morning. I figured it's just another allergy to add to my long list of things I love that I'm allergic to. (horses, hay, wood, grass, mold, dust, cats, dogs...the sun, moon, air OK maybe not those last three but it sure seems that way some days.) I took Benedryll because I'm use to allergic reactions but that hasn't helped me. It's rare to be allergic to chlorine because allergens are proteins and chlorine isn't. Phew! I was ready to wear a garbage bag in the pool and duck tape it on me so I could still swim. Apparently I have a chlorine rash and from what I read it can take a while for them to go away. It will be interesting to see what happens after tomorrow because I have another swim day. I have 4 large 'hickeys' on my neck and some spots on my back. The worst part is that I have to go to work tomorrow and wearing anything that rubs on my neck really bothers it. So what sounds better when people ask what's on my neck - a hickey or a rash?

No comments: