Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm Superior - that's what it says!


I did my final Vo2 test yesterday. If you are wondering it measures the volume of oxygen that your body can take in and process . It will give you a base heart rate of where you should be training and your threshold of when you cross into the lactic acid filling your muscles zone. The more oxygen you can take and process the better you are because it helps clear the lactic acid from your system. You don't want that building up because it slows you down. The ultimate goal is to increase your VO2 while moving your base heart rate up as high to your threshold as possible. You wear a mask while you are being measured with a tube attached to a machine. I felt like an anteater, not that I know what they feel like, but I'm guessing they feel that way.

A VO2 test usually tells you a lot more than just your max VO2. Aerobic and anaerobic thresholds, calories burned at various intensities, and energy system development are also quantified.

I thought it would have been terrible since I haven't been running. It turns out that I did extremely well. I don't want to brag but I'm in the Superior category. A highly trained athlete category! Apparently I can run and run at a pretty good fast pace and won't build up lactic acid for quite sometime. This means I'll be spending a lot more time on my bike during base training. I'm really excited to see where I will be in 4 months after base training. Now I know why I like running marathons and the longer the race the better for me. I feel like I'm just getting warmed up during sprint tris - probably because I am.

No comments: