Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stillwater Half Marathon Update


Sunday we left about 6 am on the Harley to get to the start line of the half marathon. I frozen! I wore leather pants, leather jacket and gloves but that didn't help much. Burr! My back was kind of sore from mowing the lawn on Saturday and I don't think riding on the back of the bike helped much.

So maybe we should go back to Saturday. I know this was just a training run on Sunday but I probably should have sat down for a minute on Saturday. I spent the day picking up sticks, mowing, hand trimming with the weed whip, push mower where the big mower couldn't get. I also thought I could grab onto dead branches from the Willow tree and yank them down...well when you yank down a branch where do you think it lands? On your head. Then we went to a wedding reception that night.

So back to Sunday... I was kind of sore at the start with my back and foot so I did take one Advil. I brought a golf ball to the start so I could roll my foot before running - I'm getting smarter!

The run was good for the first 6 miles. Then we started hitting some hills and my pace slowed because I walked up every hill and down ever so I didn't aggravate my Achilles. It was a perfect day for a run, about 60's when I was done...70's later on. I finished about 2 hours 6 minutes. I was happy with that because I can still walk. I'm so afraid of a flair up of my hip, foot or knee. I don't really have the time to rest it much anymore. I'm just glad I was able to do two half marathons a week apart and still feel OK. The photo is myself and Olaf's friend Jason. He also ran the half.

This week I have a 80 mile bike ride and 4 mile run after wards. I'm taking off work on Friday to do that so I can spend time with Lynn on Saturday trying on a bridesmaid dress and dinner. That will be my treat for Friday!

No comments: