Monday, May 4, 2009

70 mile bike ride - done

Saturday morning I headed out on what was supposed a lightly breezy day. It was 42 degrees when I left with not much wind. I went out Highway 97 to Olinda Trail north to Lindstom, south on 95 along the river (then the wind picked up) to highway 96, supposed to get to 15 or Manning Avenue to go north...I got to 5 and thought maybe 5 was Manning. I even asked another cyclist and he said Yes this is Manning. I started North and the shoulder ran out, the houses didn't look right. I headed East on a random road and found 61 North which went to the south and somehow ended up on Merlyn or something like that. I had tried calling Olaf back on 5 to let him know I might be lost but I wasn't sure. I think an hour later I called him to let him know I found Manning and it's really 15. I headed up Manning and stopped about 15 miles from home at a store for an ice cream bar. I needed that to get me home. The wind was so bad at that point. On my way home on a flat road I was going 9.7 MPH. Ahh!

I learned that I should carry a map of the area even if I think I know where I'm going you get a little floaty in the head after so many miles on the bike.

My shoulders are really sore today, almost like they are bruised. I spent the first in my aero bars, the second half on my regular ones. The last hour of my ride my left shoulder really hurt.

I skipped swimming due to my sore shoulders and Barb showed me how to use this softer ball to release muscles. It seemed to really help.

I still haven't ran yet but maybe tomorrow I will go for a few miles and see how my foot it.

Today I have a chiropractic appointment. I also think going to bed early will be helpful too - I'm exhausted.

No comments: