Monday, April 27, 2009

IronMan Bike Ride

Saturday night Susan called and said that Linda wasn't going to ride due to the 90 percent chance of rain on Sunday. I said I would change my 65 mile ride to the 30 and go no matter what. Since I said I was going, Susan and Connie came to ride with me. Funny thing is they said they would call about 6 am if they were going on my cell. I went back to bed about 6 am without a call and thought I would skip it, but they called at 6:14 so I jumped into my clothes and headed out the door...I didn't tell them I went back to bed and decided to not ride. I found them both in the bathroom when I got there. Great timing!!

It rained, it was cold (OK freezing at the end) but it was good to do it to learn how to ride in the rain if I need to. Next time I would put bags over my socks in my shoes and rubber medical gloves over my hands to keep them dry. My hands were so cold that when I was done I sat in the car until I could move them to get my shoe covers off.

Connie learned that the tri seats (especially designed for women...probably by a man) special hole in the middle for ventilation, etc is designed perfectly for rain to spin off your tires, up into the whole and into a critical area of your body. Then after a while it feels like you wet your pants and drips down your legs. She even thought about putting a credit cred over the hole to sit on because it was so uncomfortable.

We determined during the ride that my bike is pretty heavy which is why I rocketed down hills but going up them I have a hard time. They went up hill with ease. I struggled a lot. I always run out of gears and end up standing up to get up the hills.

No comments: